I have environmental food cravings- this simply means that I crave certain foods as a result of various environmental triggers such as smelling, seeing, or talking about an enticing food. I had visited a friend over the Labor Day break and somehow, ravioli came up. The very next day I was in my local Whole Foods Market picking up all the ingredients I needed to make my first ravioli.
I’ve always wanted to make my own ravioli and filling from scratch but I get discouraged thinking about making the pasta shell. So my friend had suggested using wonton wraps— it was MAGIC!
For the filling, you will need;
10 Shrimps or 2 Lobster tails
½ Chopped onions
Salt and Pepper
1 tbsp grated parmesan
2 tbsp ricotta cheese
1 chopped garlic clove
2 tbsp Olive Oil
For the ravioli shell, you’ll need;
60 wonton/ravioli wraps (makes 10 giant raviolis)
For the sauce, you’ll need;
1½ cup light cream
¼ cup parmesan cheese
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp pesto paste
½ chopped onions
2 chopped garlic cloves
1 scotch bonnet pepper or habanero
A pinch of grated nutmeg
- Season your shrimp or lobster with salt, pepper, parsley, and rosemary. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil in the pan and seer on each side for 2 minutes each on medium heat
- Add the fresh chopped spinach and cook till there is not liquid left from the spinach
- Add the ricotta cheese and parmesan and simmer for about 1½ minute then set aside
- Beat the egg and add some water to make egg wash
- Brush some egg wash on each sheet before placing the next wrap on top. The egg wash would allow the ravioli wraps adhere. You will need 6 wraps to make one ravioli i.e. 3 on the bottom and 3 on top to cover the filling. Make 20 sets of 3 layered ravioli wraps
- Add the filling to the center on one of the stacked 3 layered wrap, then brush some egg wash to the perimeters of the wrap and place another set of wrap on top to cover the filling
- Ensure you flatten the edges to prevent the ravioli from opening. I found out a fork worked perfectly to achieve this.
- Bring some water so boil and some salt and cook the ravioli for 5-8 minutes depending on how soft you like your pasta. Then strain.
- Add the butter, onions, garlic, scotch bonnet pepper, pesto sauce. Simmer for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Add light cream, parmesan, and nutmeg. Simmer on low heat till the consistency is slightly thick
- Add the cooked ravioli and cherry tomatoes, cook for 3 minutes on low heat.
Your Ravioli is ready to be SERVED!